Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Reliving the Joy and Wonder of Childhood Through Books.

Over the weekend, Meaghan read through a couple of books that she absolutely adored. She expressed sadness in finishing them. She didn't want the stories to be over. I remember that feeling from when I was a little girl. There were stories in my own life that I never wanted to end because it felt like those friends would now be gone for good. But of course, I now know that those characters stay with you long after you finish the last chapter ... and sometimes they stay forever.

Meaghan now had me curious as to the characters and stories that she didn't want to leave or have end. So, I decided to read her recent favorite, The Giants and the Joneses. I never before thought of exploring her literary world. Now I am so glad that I did. I almost forgot how wonderful it is to just jump into a completely fantastical world with stories that are expressed through the thoughts and feelings of a child. There is such purity, wonder and fantasy in children's literature.

I do read Harry Potter and am currently feeling some anxiety over the release of the last book. So, I am not sure why I haven't thought to explore other fiction created for children ... but now I will. Of course, the Harry Potter series has plenty of adult themes and can be some what "dark" ... so when I read them, I really don't feel as though I am reading children's lit. However, with The Giants and the Joneses I knew I was reading a very sweet, adolescent, fantastical, touching story that was meant to celebrate the purity and wonderment of childhood. And it felt so good to be in that world, if only for a brief time. So, I plan to seek more children's books to bring me back into that world ... again and again ... so that I never forget those feelings.

(Thank you Meg.)

Love,

Jodi

No comments: