Monday, July 13, 2009

Everything Old is New Again.

I took my first photography class in high school (with some cute guy sitting behind me who went by the name Halis). This was back in 1990 ... and I had a Pentax K1000 that my parents bought used from a former semi-professional photographer. And just like when they bought me my first car ... I was hoping for more (did someone just say spoiled?). But - just like my first car - a 1973 Dodge Dart Special Edition with a slant 6 engine - my Pentax was a work horse camera that took lots of abuse and refused to die. Though they both weren't my first choices ... as an adult, I want them both back. Lord knows what I did to that poor camera, but the car I sold for $400 back in 1992 to a kid heading for college in Maine... and last I knew it was still alive and kicking. But I did get the camera back (sort of) ...

I got a great deal on this used Pentax k1000 from my friend at Bangor Photo. Come to find out, it was used by Bangor High School in their photography class (funny!). I took it out for a test drive this week and find that in order to get the right look for my photos, I need to overexpose them a bit. I bought my second roll of film today in order to do just that. But my first roll did get me one pic that I am in love with ...

I love the grain in this pic. I love how his eyes are true blue and one is entirely in focus, while there is enough depth of field to keep the rest of him a bit blurred. I love the way his body is positioned. I love the color. I just *love* it. I am a sucker for that vintage look. Though I absolutely love the versatility of digital photography, I also *heart* film, and want to make the best of both worlds. And I guarantee you that my $60 Pentax will outlast my $3,000 Nikon. "They just don't make things like they used to."

Enjoy your day.

Love,

Jodi

No comments: