Monday, June 30, 2008

Annual Strawberry Picking.

Call me crazy, but I have started a free summer day camp in my home for the kids in my life. It's not like I don't have enough to do this summer (namely, sell my old house) ... but in truth, I am so looking forward to having these little balls of energy, laughter and curiosity share some exciting summer projects, crafts and outings with Isaac and me. And "Jodi Camp" (as my niece calls it) starts tomorrow.

In preparation for the big "opening day", Isaac, Daddy and I went strawberry picking --- because my first camp day will focus on strawberries and all their wonderful uses. We will cook with them, make juice with them and even create a strawberry paint concoction for painting some gorgeous artwork :)

In Maine, strawberry picking is an annual ritual for most families, and that is true for us as well. After fiddleheads, strawberries are the first crop of summer. That is a big deal in a state where our growing season is so limited. Mainers seem to relish every single rite of each season ... hoping to savor every moment ... as everything is so temporary ... so fleeting. I don't remember that kind of living when we grew up in Southern NH. I think we took more for granted when we lived life "in the fast lane". Here, we have learned to appreciate every nuance of the seasons ... participating in them as fully as possible. I am so thankful for that kind of living ... participating in the seasonal rituals that celebrate our connections to the earth ... and to each other.

So, in a nutshell, we picked strawberries ... it felt good ... tasted great ... and tomorrow we will savor them in every possible way. Stay tuned for the results :)

Love,

Jodi

No comments: