Friday, December 2, 2011

Countdown to Christmas: Epic Gift Idea ...

Ok, this gift idea is not necessarily "EPIC" for every person on your list ... but I must say, I am pretty darn impressed with it myself. Some good friends of ours thought it was near sacrilege that Isaac had no knowledge of who Marty McFly was or that a DeLorean equipped with a flux capacitor could propel a person into the future and/or the past ... so they let us borrow their 25th Anniversary blu-ray/dvd/digital trilogy package of the Back to the Future movies in order to school our kiddo on the subject ...



So, we took a day and watched all three films, back-to-back. This was not something we scheduled ... but after Isaac watched the first one, he was blown away and HAD TO watch the rest immediately. And let me tell you, it felt pretty freakin awesome to share the memories of the late 80's with my boy. I had to explain a few things ... like how skateboarding was pretty much how us teens got around back then (just as Marty does in the films) ... and that contrary to what we may have thought in the year 1985, we are all not driving space cars in the year 2011. I had to explain some of the clothing/ hair choices too ... and how Mom once dressed exactly the same as Marty's girlfriend Jennifer ...

... big hair and all. I even wore some of those same skin tight floral jeans ... and would totally show you a pic here but can't seem to find one of either Jennifer or myself ... so you will just have to watch the movie again.

But now ... so many of the snarky little sayings I say around the house ... that Isaac once never understood ... NOW, post watching Back to the Future, they all make sense to him (and raise my cool level). Like, "Hello!? McFly??" ... and "Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here!" and "What are you, CHICKEN?" ... oh, oh ... and this little chestnut ... "GREAT SCOTT!"




I am so very grateful to my friends for sharing this with us ... and am sure to buy a copy now. The updated version is absolutely pristine in color ... so vivid ... and contains so much more detail than I ever knew existed when I watched it on VHS.

I promise you (and no one is paying me or offering me anything to say this) ... you will enjoy these films so much more today than you even did back then. And your kids will thank you. The themes of these movies hold up to today ... and Isaac was as taken with these movies as he was when I first introduced him to Star Wars. Truly.




Still not sure if this is a great gift idea for someone on your list ... well, here are a couple videos to help you change your mind ;)






So, what are you waiting for? Rent, buy or gift this trilogy ... and you will never look at Calvin Klein underwear the same way again ;)

Love,
Jodi

PS. If you are reading this on Facebook, you will need to go to the blog to see the videos. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For further enjoyment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ClfD1fcZU&feature=g-upl