Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Tree 2007

So, here is the story of this year's Christmas tree in the Renshaw-Sirimoglu household. Yes, there is a "story" --- though I am not sure whether it comes with a moral or any nugget of wisdom, but it is a "story" none-the-less.

As you may remember, we travelled to Piper Mountain with some friends to cut down our well-chosen Christmas tree. And this is what we came home with:

... not particularly charming, as it has a gaping hole on one side and is flat on the other. But we gave it a chance to be a glorious part of our holidays anyway.

And the kids were ready and excited to decorate this awkward but sweet hand-picked tree. Lots of laughs were shared... lots of silly antics...

And of course, Halis placed his coveted Dan Marino ornament in its own hallowed spot on the tree - where it could be well seen and appreciated by all. (How many of you out there can say that Dan Marino is hanging from your tree?)

And after some great ornament arrangements by Meaghan and myself.... while Halis watched from the recliner ... and Isaac sought to destroy every ornament he could get a hold of (he enjoys throwing things to see what they will do).... our tree finally became this beautiful masterpiece of festive Christmas merriment ...

But sadly, the tree would not experience such splendor for very long. I am not sure whether gravity, the dogs or the devil himself had a hand in our tree's sudden bought with dizziness ... but she (as we refer to her) came crashing to the floor like a drunken uncle... breaking nearly every sacred childhood ornament that was lovingly placed on her.... not to mention most of her branches as well. Sad. Very sad.

So, Halis did what any good dad would do in this situation. After I removed all remaining ornaments from her branches, he took her outside and resurrected her into a shorter, but actually more charming, version of herself:

And now Isaac and I (okay, mostly I) will spend part of today returning the tree to its original festive splendor, albeit with a lot less decoration ... and no more gaping hole.

There is our tree story. Just a little bit of drama as is often the case around here :) But the story won't end here ... I'll be sure to post pictures of the tree's second chance at life.

So, how are your holiday decorations holding up???

Love,

Jodi

3 comments:

Paula said...

Short people are pretty too!! She was gorgeous full size, but I have complete faith that she will be again. Funny story ~ one you guys will tell over and over again during all the Christmas seasons to come...

missy said...

i don't think my comment went through....just a recap :0) I happen to like the shorter verison. The shorter the tree, the shorter the fall. my cats play in our tree all night. i wake up to find ornaments strung all over the floor.......

Thank you for the cute story....

Love,
Missy

Heather said...

Awwww, I'm sorry to hear about the tree incident! A few years ago in early December, I was visiting my mom in MA and was on the phone with my hubby here in L.A. He was at his parents for a party. All of a sudden I heard this giant CRASH! Their ten foot tree came crashing down in the middle of the party and broke many ornaments. Now, they buy a smaller tree and each year I make them new ornaments to slowly replace what is missing. I saw the "after" shot above this blog, so I know your tree came out so nice, but thought I'd share. ~Hettie (via flickr)