Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Easter Goody Exchange, Anyone?


Wow, this economy is getting tough. I may not understand all the ins and outs of the economics of this recession ... but I do know that it is finally hitting home. My husband has had to take a significant cut in salary (and I do mean significant). So, much is going to have to change around here. Also, he will be taking a leave of absence from work in order to take over my father's business while Dad is recovering from surgery. So, we are looking at several weeks without pay. BUT, I am the eternal optimist and I love a good challenge! I am just going to have to be very creative with our money ... and I actually find some joy in that. I will certainly share with you all that I learn on this journey. Though I have always been frugal, I am going to have to step it up a bit ... and what I learn along the way, I will certainly share ... because I know that we are all in this recession thing together!

For starters, I was recently thinking about Easter. We have always been frugal about holidays ... trying to give Isaac mostly handmade goodies ... while perpetuating the significance of a holiday rather than the "receiving of gifts." And Isaac is really not the kind of kid who wants for anything (which I attribute to his lack of commercial television). Even so, I want him to wake up on Easter Sunday to a sweet little basket of goodies to celebrate the arrival of spring. One year, I joined a handmade Easter goody exchange ... and it was wonderful. I think there were about 14 kids involved. Each Mom made 14 of the same goody, then we shipped them all to one person, who then distributed all goodies to each participant. It was lovely. So - I am wondering if any of my fellow crafty bloggers & friends would like to do the same?

Please let me know in the comment section of this blog post asap and I will begin to organize the exchange. The number of items that each of us will make will be based on the number of children involved. For the sake of time, I would like to keep it to under 15 kids ... so if you are interested, please "sign-up" right away with the number of children that you have and their ages ... as well as the items that you wish to contribute.

This should be so fun! And please note that the items you make do not have to be anything grand ... just special.

As for my contribution, I will be making a pin set for each child over 3 (as seen in my shop) as well as a packet of lupine seeds for each child. I may add more depending on whether time allows for it.

Love to all,
Jodi

P.S. Details of the exchange will be posted once we have enough interested parties. Thank you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... I'd love to participate. I think I'd make some felt play food.

My kids are:

Girl 10
Boy 8
Girl 3

Anonymous said...

I'll play! I think I was in that swap you mentioned, maybe I hosted it! You made the cutest little easter bags.
Boy 11
Boy 10
Boy 7 1/2
girl 5
I am going to make.... hmmm... let me think a bit and see the ages of the kids that sign up and I'll get back to you.
Harmony

Jodi Renshaw said...

I have:

Boy 3
Girl 12 (Meaghan)

I will be making various items, including lupine seed packets & pinback button sets.

Love,
Jodi

Heather said...

Oh this would be wonderful!

I have:
Boy, 5
Boy, 3

What will I make??? Hmmm... I'll have to get back to you on this. Our big crafts this holiday involve wooden easter eggs, felt eggs and crocheted wee things....
is that okay?
Hettie