Sunday, August 24, 2008

Exploring Maine : Day 5 : Corinna Squirrel

This post is such a cheat! And a couple days late to boot. We spent the last day of our vacation cleaning out the old homestead. Nothing very exciting about that. But I do have a story to tell. See this sweet little squirrel ...

... well he has full reign over the old chicken coop now that it is uninhabited. He has even taken over the birdhouses. Seriously. Isaac and I watched as he exited the chicken coop, climbed onto the roof of the garage and performed Spiderman-like acrobatics in order to climb up into this old abandoned birdhouse without touching the ground or falling. I then had the pleasure of taking several photos of him as he just sunbathed from the birdhouse entryway.


But then, I got this bright idea to get closer to him and offer him some food from my hands. He sniffed it a bit ... and within seconds bounded out of the birdhouse and lept straight at me ... a brief attack ... then he ran off into the bushes. I screamed so loud that Halis came running from within the house. Isaac was standing there as it happened ... and after my initial shock, he and I got a big laugh out of it. Silly squirrel thinks he owns the place now.

No harm done. No tetanus shots needed. Just some surface scratches and a funny tale to tell.

Love,
Jodi

2 comments:

Perla said...

oh, that just gave me a really good laugh--to imagine you being so calm and quiet, trying to get the squirrel to come to you, then an attack. i wish i could have witnessed that! it looks like you had the composure, though, not to throw your camera!

Paula said...

Sweet pictures! I really love that top one. Those little guys are so fun to watch!