Monday, July 9, 2007

THE END.
Sadly, or rather ... Unfortunately, I have just completed Book #13 in The Series of Unfortunate Events. And for those of you who are not Lemony Snicket fans, that means I have now reached The End of the series. I will miss my dear friends, the Baudeliare orphans. Though this series was certainly not intended to be read by me (I am 33 years old), I got so much pleasure out of following the many "Unfortunate Events" that Violet, Klaus and Sunny were able to cleverly find their way out of. And I found such guilty pleasure in admiring the sinister deeds of the equally clever villain, Count Olaf. But now their stories have ended, and I need to re-enter the adult world of literature ... at least until July 21st, when the last Harry Potter is delivered to my doorstep!

Anyway, I have been doing a little experimenting with my amateur photography lately ... and have been thinking about this area in the woods around my house that I would like to photograph. I felt really drawn to visit there the other day ... so I asked Halis to take me as it is only accessible by ATV. And of course, being the wonderful man that he is, he said, "Of course dear, anything for my incredibly talented, amazingly sexy, ridiculously intelligent wife." So off we went. Okay, okay, okay already. If you must know, Halis simply said, "Sure, let's go for a ride." But that doesn't mean that I am not talented, sexy or intelligent. Or that Halis isn't wonderful :) So, on with the story...

So, we get to this area of the woods, and I immediately recognize why I was drawn there! It reminds me of my vision of Briney Beach in The Series of Unfortunate Events (this is where the Baudelaires are first told that their parents have perished in a fire). And after reading the last book, I guess I felt compelled to complete my literary journey by taking a few sepia-toned shots of the place.

For those who have also read the series, doesn't this photo represent some of the gloom and doom of the books? For those who haven't read the series and find this image fairly creepy please note that you will likely not enjoy reading about the Baudelaire misfortunes. However, for those who haven't read the series and find the above photograph interesting and rather beautiful in its way, then by all means ... head to the nearest book store and pick up The Bad Beginning.


Love,
Jodi

2 comments:

Babette said...

We haven't read the Lemony Snicket books, but the photo reminds me of the delightful Swallows and Amazons series by Arthur Ransome. There are 12 in the series and they were written in the 1930s. All 11 of my children love them!

Jodi Renshaw said...

Thank you. I am heading right over to Amazon.com to check out the series that you speak of. I always appreciate book referrals :)

Love,
Jodi