What progress!Anyway, it is a very simple quilt that consists of 6" squares of many of Isaac's favorite "things". It was a breeze to piece together. I lined it with 100% cotton muslin between the top and the matching backing ... thus making it a light summer quilt. Then I machine topstitched around each square as well as the borders. Lastly, I handstitched the binding. It was a fun and simple project that I will likely make many more of ... including perhaps some on Etsy if anyone is interested ;)
For Isaac's sake, I also thought I would detail here what each square represents for him. From top to bottom, left to right ...
- Chickadees in Birch Trees: you love to watch them fly and to listen to their songs.
- Household Tools: you rather play with screwdrivers than with any toy.
- Horses: you call them "neighs" and you get tickled every time you see one.
- Dogs: Jack is your favorite and you always need to pat every dog you see.
- Planes: the sound of a plane can stop you in your tracks. You love to watch them in the sky.
- Construction Vehicles: really... what boy doesn't love them?
- Tigers: though you have only seen them in books, you are fascinated by them.
- The Sky: one of your first phrases was, "Hi Sky" as you admired the clouds.
- Flowers: Son, you would be content to play in a patch of wildflowers for most of the day.
- Ducks: you love to follow our pet ducks around. This was also one of your first words.
- Cats: against my better judgement, you do love cats. Ugh.
- Crayons: not to draw with, but to throw all over the room and down the stairs.
- Dancing: your absolute favorite activity. I also imagine that this square represents you and your future brother.
- Music: one needs music to dance! And you love to sing to it, too.
- Bears: Little Bear, Pooh Bear, Brother Bear. You have a thing for watching bears on TV.
- Watching TV: though we certainly limit your viewing, you are wild for Sesame Street, Little Bear, etc.
- Farm Animals: we love to visit all the farm animals we can find!
- Chickens: how could you live at our home and NOT love chickens?
- Rabbits: you call them "BunBuns" and you love to search the yard for them.
- Kids: boy do you love to hug other kids. Especially Meg, Devon and Sydney.
- Nuts and Bolts: you are forever collecting nuts, bolts, screws and nails around the house so that you can hand them to Daddy.
- Farm Tractors: they drive by our house often and you never tire of watching them.
- Dandelions: Mommy taught you how to blow their seeds all around. This excites you.
- Cars & Trucks: while driving, you love to show Mommy the difference between a car and a truck.
- Frogs: ribbit! Your first gift from Mommy and Daddy was a stuffed frog that croaks. He is often your favorite dance partner.
Jodi (aka Mommy)